UPP – Utah Person to Person Title Transfers – FAQ

For more information, see:
Important Points to Remember
  • The vehicle title information that is entered on UPP, using a combination of VIN & Title Number or VIN & Owner Name, must match exactly with the motor vehicle information recorded with the State of Utah.
  • The following type of motor vehicle records cannot be processed on MVP:
    • Vehicle records that are in suspend, or that are pending information from the previous owner
    • Vehicles with a brand of Non-Repairable
    • Vehicles with a Notice to Obtain a Salvage Brand
    • Vehicles with an Out of State title

I just bought a used vehicle that is currently titled in Utah. What can I do online?

  • Apply for a title
  • Apply for a registration
  • Obtain a temporary permit

How can I transfer ownership into my name and apply for registration and a permit on the Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP)?

Though every title situation is different from the last, you should at least have the original title or a bill of sale from the previous owner. Either of these should be sufficient to get your title/registration process started on UPP. This should allow you to at least obtain a temporary permit while you round up additional ownership documentation and possible vehicle inspections where required.

Note that all taxes and applicable fees are due at the time of application.

Visit the MVP to start your UPP – Utah Person to Person Online Title Transfer process.

For more specific information, see:

As part of our online application process, you will be asked to upload your ownership documents. If additional documentation is needed, you will receive an email checklist letting you know what documents are required to complete your transaction. Additional documents can be emailed to dmvupp@utah.gov or mailed to the following address:

Standard Mail
Utah State Tax Commission
Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 30412
Salt Lake City, UT 84130-8800

Express Delivery
Utah State Tax Commission
Motor Vehicle Division
210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116

I just bought a vehicle, but the seller can’t find the title. What do I do?

It is the seller’s responsibility to provide you with the ownership document to the vehicle (eg: Utah title or completed Utah duplicate title application TC-123). It is very common that a “missing” title is simply being held by the seller’s bank or credit union as collateral for a loan, in which case the seller should contact their bank or credit union. If the title is truly missing, however, the seller will need to complete the application for Utah duplicate title.

If the previous title was a Utah title, the seller may complete Form TC-123, Application for Duplicate Utah Title in place of the original title, which not only requests a duplicate title, but also allows the seller to transfer that duplicate title to you.

However, if the previous title was from out-of-state, the seller is responsible for obtaining a duplicate title from that state. In cases like these, online application is not available. You may take a bill of sale to the DMV, pay your title and registration fees, and obtain a temporary permit so that you may use the vehicle while you wait for the title. Out-of-state titles cannot be processed on UPP and will require an office visit in order to obtain a temporary permit and transfer ownership into your name.

I just bought a vehicle. How much sales tax will I need to pay?

Sales and use tax is based on the purchase price. The purchase price includes any value of the consideration given. Consideration includes cash payments, loan payoffs, and trades. Trades are only allowed for a vehicle-to-vehicle trade and must take place at the same time and must be documented in the same transaction. All other trades are valued and are subject to tax. Rates varies from city to city, see Utah Sales & Use Tax Rates to find your local sales tax rate. Multiply the rate by the purchase price to calculate the sales tax amount.

Note that sales tax due may be adjusted and a payment will be required, if the amount entered is accidentally incorrect and not verified.

I’m trying to sell a vehicle, but I can’t find the title. How do I replace a lost title?

You may request a duplicate title online using our Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP), or by completing Form TC-123, Application for Duplicate Utah Title. A $6.00 title fee will be assessed, and the duplicate title should be received in about a week after completing the application.

If you are selling the vehicle to a Utah resident who will be titling and/or registering the vehicle in Utah, you may simply give the completed Form TC-123 Application for Duplicate Utah Title to the buyer in place of the Utah title. If you do, make sure that you have signed both Part 1 and Part 2 of the form. It is highly recommended that a bill of sale accompany the Application for Duplicate Utah Title.

What is the difference between “and” & “or” on a title?

“And” and “or” represent the relationship between owners on a title. “And” requires that both owners must sign to transfer or change a title, while “or” requires that only one owner sign to transfer or change a title.

Do I need an odometer disclosure when titling a vehicle?

Make sure that the odometer disclosure section on the Utah Title, or the Utah Duplicate Title Application, has been completed if the vehicle is less than 20 years old. You may also use a properly completed Form TC-891, Odometer Disclosure Statement filled out and signed by the owner and the buyer.

What happens if I do not submit my documents or finish the ownership transfer process?

The Division will not complete the processing of your request for Title and/or Registration. We may cancel this transaction if it remains in a pending status more than 120 days. Fees you paid toward this transaction may be non-refundable.

Translate »


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or dmv@utah.gov for more information.