Temporary Permits FAQ

For more information, see Temporary Permits.

Do I need a permit to transport a newly purchased or unregistered vehicle?

Yes, a temporary permit will need to be obtained from your local DMV office to operate a newly purchased or unregistered vehicle. Keep proof of ownership, such as a copy of the title and bill of sale, with you during transportation. Utah offers permits that range from 96 hours to 60 days. Permit fees and lengths of validity may vary depending on your individual situation.

Proof of ownership and possibly insurance (for Utah residents) will need to be provided in order to receive a permit. For more information regarding Temporary Permits, please click here.

I just bought a used vehicle that is currently titled in Utah. How can I transfer ownership into my name and apply for a permit using the Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP)?

Though every title situation is different from the last, you should at least have the original title or a bill of sale from the previous owner. Either of these should be sufficient to get your title/registration process started on MVP. This should allow you to at least obtain a temporary permit while you round up additional ownership documentation and possible vehicle inspections.

Note that all taxes and applicable fees are due at the time of application for permit and/or title. For more information see Utah Person to Person Online Title Transfers.

I just purchased a vehicle, but plan to title and register it out-of-state. Am I able to get a permit?

Yes, if you go to a DMV office you will be able to obtain a 96 hour permit. The cost for this permit is $2.50. If you are a Utah resident transporting the vehicle out-of-state you will need to provide proof of ownership and insurance. If you are an out-of-state resident transporting the vehicle out-of-state you will need to prove proof of ownership and your out-of-state identification. The permit only lasts for 96 hours and starts at time of purchase. For complete information on this permit, see Temporary Permits.

My vehicle is due for registration, but I need to complete inspections. Can I get a temporary permit to obtain the inspections?

Yes, you can get a temporary permit in order to obtain your inspections. There are multiple ways this can be done. You can obtain a permit online by using our Renewal Express website, by visiting a participating On the SPOT renewal station, or any DMV office. For complete information on obtaining a permit, see Temporary Permits.


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or dmv@utah.gov for more information.