Boats, Watercraft & Outboard Motors

Boats & Watercraft

Every 1985 or newer watercraft operated in Utah waters must be titled except:

  • A motorboat or a sailboat belonging to a class of vehicles the Division of Outdoor Recreation has determined to be exempt from registration
  • Watercraft that have valid marine documents issued by the US Coast Guard
  • Watercraft owned and operated by non-residents of Utah
  • Watercraft owned and operated by the Federal Government, or a state or subdivision thereof
  • Canoes
  • Inflatable watercraft powered by an outboard motor with 25 horsepower or less
  • A ship’s lifeboat
  • A motorboat or sailboat from another country temporarily using the waters of this state
  • Outboard motors with a manufacture’s listed horsepower of 25 or less

While canoes powered with motors over 25 HP must be registered, no canoe, regardless of model year, can be titled. However, if the motor used on a canoe is over 25 HP and is a model year 1985 or newer, the motor must be titled. All sailboards are exempt from titling.

Requirements for Titling

Requirements for Registration

Exemptions to Registration

  • Watercraft that are not in the state more than 60 days in any year and are owned by a non-resident (must be currently registered in home state, if required)
  • Watercraft from another country and in Utah temporarily
  • Watercraft owned by the United States Government, a state or a subdivision thereof
  • A ship’s lifeboat
  • Watercraft exempted by the Division of Outdoor Recreation. These exemptions include:
    • Sailboards
    • Inflatable vessels without motors

For information regarding nonresidents using their boats, off-highway vehicles, and snowmobiles in Utah, please visit the following links:

Outboard Motors

Every 1985 or newer outboard motor operated in Utah waters must be titled.

Exemptions to Titling Outboard Motors

  • With a manufacturer’s listed horsepower of 25 hp or less
  • Owned and operated by non-residents
  • Owned and operated by the United States Government
Translate »


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or for more information.