Transfer Without a Title

Registration Only

If you’ve recently moved to Utah, and your certificate of title is being held by an out-of-state leasing company or lien holder, you will not be required to acquire the certificate of title in order to transfer your vehicle registration to Utah. Instead, you will need to provide the following in order to receive a Registration Only:

  • Most recent registration – You will need to provide a copy of your most recent vehicle registration.
  • Leasing company or lien holder information – Be prepared to provide the name and address of the leasing company or lien holder that is holding your certificate of title.
    • If the vehicle is leased, make sure the lessor has provided their power of attorney, a billing statement, and their Utah sales tax number.
  • Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates – Depending on the vehicle type and model year, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
  • VIN/HIN Inspection – Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks and motorcycles providing that the VIN is accurate on the safety inspection certificate. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.

Insufficient Evidence of Ownership

At times, a certificate of title may not be available when a vehicle is sold. This is especially true for homemade vehicles and old vehicles for which the original certificate of title cannot be located. In such circumstances, a process known as “Insufficient Evidence of Ownership” must be completed. Please click the appropriate link below to find a checklist and important information for completing this process:

Related Forms

As you will see on any of the above checklists, several forms are required as part of the Insufficient Evidence of Ownership process:

Translate »


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or for more information.