Transfer a Utah Title

Note: To transfer a title, go to Utah Person to Person Online Title Transfer Service.

Though every title situation is unique, here are the things you usually need to complete a title transfer of a Utah title:

  • Certificate of Title – The seller must provide you either the original certificate of title or a completed Form TC-123, Application for Duplicate Utah Title. There are several things to watch for when you receive one of these:
    • Make sure the Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) on the document matches the VIN/HIN on the vehicle.
    • Make sure the seller has signed where necessary to release their ownership of the vehicle. Note that the Application for Duplicate Utah Title requires the seller to sign in two places.
    • Make sure the previous lien holder, if there is one printed on the face of the certificate of title, has signed to release their lien on the vehicle.
    • Make sure that the purchase date and purchase price are correctly filled in.
    • Make sure that the odometer disclosure section has been completed if the vehicle is less than 20 years old. You may also use a properly completed Form TC-891, Odometer Disclosure Statement filled out and signed by the owner and the buyer.
  • Application for Utah TitleForm TC-656, Application for Utah Title must be completed by the new vehicle owners. This may be completed at the DMV at the time of transfer.
  • Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates – If you plan on registering the vehicle, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
  • If the vehicle is leased, make sure the lessor has provided their power of attorney, a billing statement, and their Utah sales tax number.
Translate »


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or for more information.