The Utah Division of Motor Vehicles Official Site
Transfer a Utah Title
Though every title situation is unique, here are the things you usually need to complete a title transfer of a Utah title:
- Certificate of Title – The seller must provide you either the original certificate of title or a completed Form TC-123, Application for Duplicate Utah Title. There are several things to watch for when you receive one of these:
- Make sure the Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) on the document matches the VIN/HIN on the vehicle.
- Make sure the seller has signed where necessary to release their ownership of the vehicle. Note that the Application for Duplicate Utah Title requires the seller to sign in two places.
- Make sure the previous lien holder, if there is one printed on the face of the certificate of title, has signed to release their lien on the vehicle.
- Make sure that the purchase date and purchase price are correctly filled in.
- Application for Utah Title – Form TC-656, Application for Utah Title must be completed by the new vehicle owners. This may be completed at the DMV at the time of transfer.
- Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates – If you plan on registering the vehicle, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
- If the vehicle is leased, make sure the lessor has provided their power of attorney, a billing statement, and their Utah sales tax number.