Transfer an Out-of-State Title

Though every title situation is unique, here are the things you usually need to complete a title transfer of an out-of-state title:

  • Certificate of Title – The seller must provide you with the original certificate of title. There are several things to watch for when you receive the certificate of title:
    • Make sure the Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) on the document matches the VIN/HIN on the vehicle.
    • Make sure the seller has signed where necessary to release their ownership of the vehicle. Note that the Application for Duplicate Utah Title requires the seller to sign in two places.
    • Make sure the previous lien holder, if there is one printed on the face of the certificate of title, has signed to release their lien on the vehicle.
    • Make sure that the purchase date and purchase price are correctly filled in.
  • Application for Utah TitleForm TC-656, Application for Utah Title must be completed by the new vehicle owners. This may be completed at the DMV at the time of transfer.
  • Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates – If you plan on registering the vehicle, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
  • VIN/HIN Inspection – Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks and motorcycles providing that the VIN is accurate on the safety inspection certificate. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
  • If the vehicle is leased, make sure the lessor has provided their power of attorney, a billing statement, and their Utah sales tax number.
Translate »


Skip the lines. Skip the mailbox.
Take care of DMV business wherever you are, wherever you go!

Choose from our many online services

For security reasons, MVP and other e-services are not available in most countries outside the United States.
Please contact us at 801-297-7780 or for more information.