Safety & Emission Inspection Requirements
Beginning January 1, 2018, ALL commercial vehicles regardless of weight require an annual safety inspection. The safety inspection is not a prerequisite for registration. However, the certificates must be kept in the vehicle at all times.
Salt Lake County
Vehicles registered in Salt Lake County with model years less than six years old are required to have an emission test once every two years. Vehicles in this category that have even-numbered model years must have an emission test in even-numbered years, and vehicles that have odd-numbered model years must have an emission test in odd-numbered years.
|Vehicle Model Year||Emission Inspection|
|2013 to 1968||Required|
|1967 and older||Not required|
- New vehicles with an MSO
- Any vehicle with a model year 1967 & older
- Any diesel vehicle with a model year 1997 & older and with a GVWR less than 14,000 lbs.
- All implements of husbandry
- Off highway vehicles
- Electric vehicles
- Motorcycles or motor driven cycles
- Farm vehicles
- Vintage or custom vehicles
- Maintenance or construction vehicles not designed or licensed to operate on a highway
- Military tactile vehicles