Registering Vehicles
RenewalExpress online registrationOn the Spot station lookupTaxes & FeesSafety inspectionsEmission inspectionsChange your address onlineCancel your registration

General Information

For specific information, follow the links in the left menu or the icons on the right.




RenewalExpress is the quickest and easiest method for renewing your registration. It's FREE and lets you print a temporary permit to use until you receive your decals – so you can renew online even at the end of the month!



What Vehicles Must Be Registered?

All cars, snowmobiles, trailers over 750 lbs., motorcycles, motorboats, sailboats, trucks, civil and commercial aircraft, campers and off-highway vehicles used in the state of Utah must be registered. Non-commercial trailers weighing 750 lbs. or less when empty do not have to be registered. However, any trailer may be registered for your convenience.



Who Must Register Their Vehicles?

Utah residents must register any of the above vehicles for use in the state.

For information regarding nonresidents using their boats, off-highway vehicles and snowmobiles in Utah, please visit the following links:

For vehicle registration purposes, a resident is anyone who engages in a trade, profession, occupation or gainful employment in Utah for more than sixty days.

Exceptions: Nonresident students who pay nonresident tuition, certain military personnel and temporary workers may be exempt from registering vehicles.



Where To Go And What To Bring

Bring to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) the following for each vehicle:



First-time Registration

To title and register in Utah for the first time, Form TC-656, "Application for Utah Title", must be completed and submitted to a DMV office with inspection certificates, including a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection, and evidence showing ownership of the vehicle. The forms can usually be provided for you at the DMV office.

Scroll Up