Frequently Asked Questions

Before calling or visiting one of our offices, take a look at the common questions found below. Just select the category your question fits into, and you'll be taken to the list of related questions. You'll probably find the answers you're looking for without having to wait!


Disabled Parking Placards

  • For more information about disabled parking privileges, please click here.


I have a permanent or a temporary disability. How do I get a parking placard or license plate?

While disabled parking placards are available to those with either permanent or temporary disabilities, disabled license plates are only available to those with permanent disabilities.

You and your doctor will need to fill out and sign Form TC-842, "Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification". Once completed, simply submit the application to the DMV and you will receive your parking placards. You are limited to either two windshield placards or one windshield placard and one set of disabled license plates. While there is no cost associated with a disabled placard; disabled plates have an initial cost of $15.00.


I lost my parking placard. How do I get a new one?

Parking placards are easily replaced by simply visiting your local DMV office or calling us at (801) 297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824 and requesting a replacement over the phone.


My parking placard needs to be renewed. How do I do that?

The DMV sends out renewal notices for permanent parking placards that need only be signed and mailed back to the DMV. The DMV will then mail the new placards to you. If, however, the renewal notice wasn't received or has been lost, you may visit your local DMV office or call us at (801) 297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824 and renew the placard over the phone.



Driver License

Why can't I find any information here about driver licenses?

In Utah, the Division of Motor Vehicles and the Driver License Division are independent of each other. For driver license information, please click here to be directed to the Driver License Division web site.




  • For more information about obtaining an impound release, please click here.


My vehicle was impounded by law enforcement. How do I get an impound release?

In order to retrieve your vehicle from the impound yard, you will first need to visit a DMV office and obtain an impound release. You will need either the impound report or the report information as found on the Impounded Vehicle Service. All applicable fees, depending on the nature of the impound, will need to be paid prior to obtaining the release.




  • For more information about safety, emissions, or VIN/HIN inspections, please click here.


Do dealers perform required safety and emissions inspections before a 45-day permit is issued?

Yes. Dealers must assure vehicles meet all safety and emission requirements before the vehicles are sold and a copy of the safety inspection certificate must be given to the customer at the time of sale. Safety inspections must have been done in the dealer's name (not by a previous owner) within six months prior to sale; emission inspections are valid for 6 months.


New Vehicles with an MSO are exempt from safety and emissions.

Vehicles are not required to be inspected if being sold to residents of counties that do not require emission inspections. Dealers in non-emission counties have a special exemption when selling to residents of counties that require emission inspections.


What do I do if my vehicle won't pass inspections because the dealer didn't fix a mechanical problem?

If the vehicle is titled and registered in your name, you should file a complaint with the emission officials in the county in which the vehicle was inspected, or, for safety problems, contact the Utah Highway Patrol at (801) 965-4889. These agencies will investigate the complaint. If it appears the dealer violated the law, MVED would be contacted, would investigate and possibly file a criminal complaint. However, if you are still operating the vehicle on the 45-day temporary permit (you have not yet received your license plates from the dealer), file a complaint with MVED.

For more information on filing a complaint with the emission official in your county, click here.


I bought a car from a dealer and they want me to bring it back in for inspections. What should I do?

Because the inspections are required for the vehicle to be registered, you will need to bring the vehicle back in for those inspections. If the 45-day temporary permit has expired, you may additionally file a complaint with MVED.


My vehicle will not pass inspection, what are my options?

If after resonable efforts your vehicle will not pass an emission inspection, you can contact the appropriate county to see if you qualify for an exemption. Salt Lake County - 385-468-3837, Davis County - 801-525-5100, Weber County - 801-399-7140, Utah County - 801-851-7600.

If after resonable efforts your vehicle will not pass a safety inspection, you can contact the Department of Public Safety at 801-965-4889 to see if you qualify for an exemption.




  • For more information about insurance requirements, please click here.


Who is Insure-Rite?

Insure-Rite, Inc, is a company partnering with the DMV to help keep uninsured motorists off of Utah's roads. This company is responsible for collecting insurance policy information from Utah's insurance companies and comparing the information against the database of vehicles registered in Utah. When a registered vehicle is found to not have insurance, a letter is sent to the vehicle owner requesting information about the vehicle and why it is not insured. If the owner fails to provide the information or cannot provide proof of current insurance, Insure-Rite notifies the DMV that the vehicle is not insured, and the DMV revokes the registration and notifies the owner of the revocation in an attempt to keep the uninsured motorist off of the road.


I just got a letter about possibly not having insurance on one of my vehicles. What does this mean?

These letters are sent to you when our partner, Insure-Rite, Inc, does not have current insurance information for your registered vehicle. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as a canceled or modified policy or even a simple error in the recorded Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

On this letter, you are given a chance to indicate the status of the vehicle, whether it is in storage, sold, or is in-fact currently insured. Simply mark the correct box and, if necessary, include a copy of your current proof of insurance and mail the letter back to Insure-Rite.


My registration was revoked for no insurance. How do I reinstate it, and is there a fine?

After receiving no proper proof of insurance from you, Insure-Rite may notify the DMV that your registration must be revoked for no insurance. Alternatively, law enforcement may revoke your registration if you are operating the vehicle without current insurance.

Once this happens, you will need to visit your local DMV office to have your registration reinstated. Proof of current insurance will be required. A $100.00 reinstatement fee will be assessed, unless you can provide proof that the vehicle was insured on the date that the registration was revoked. For complete information on reinstating your registration, please click here.




  • For more information about permits, please click here.


I just purchased a vehicle and I need to transport it to my house. Do I need a permit?

A temporary permit will need to be obtained from your local DMV office to operate a newly purchased vehicle. Be sure to keep a copy of the title and bill of sale in the vehicle during transportation. If the vehicle needs safety and emission inspections before you can obtain registration, you will want to get a 15 day permit from your local DMV office. This permit will allow you to use the vehicle legally while obtaining the documentation needed to complete the registration.


I just purchased a vehicle, but plan to title and register it out-of-state. Am I able to get a permit?

Yes, if you go to a DMV office you will be able to obtain a 96 hour permit. The cost for this permit is $2.50. If you are a Utah resident transporting the vehicle out-of-state you will need to provide proof of ownership and insurance. If you are an out-of-state resident transporting the vehicle out-of-state you will need to prove proof of ownership and your out-of-state identification. The permit only lasts for 96 hours and starts at time of purchase. For complete information on this permit, please click here.



Personalized Plates

  • For more information about personalized plates, please click here.


How do I apply for personalized plates?

You will need to complete Form TC-817, "Application for Personalized Plates", and be prepared to pay the $58 personalized plate fee. Special Group plates may require an additional contribution to the organization they support, so please read the instructions carefully.

You may then mail the application with a check for the appropriate amount or take it in to your local DMV office.


Can I order personalized plates online?

Yes. Personalized plates may be ordered online through the Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP). Click on Personalized and Special Group Plates under Vehicle Options.


How many characters can I use on a personalized plate?

The number of characters you can use on a personalized plate depends on the type of license plate you select:

  • Standard license plate: Up to seven characters
  • Special Group license plate: Up to five characters
  • Motorcycle license plate: Up to four characters


How can I find out if the wording I want on my personalized plate is available?

You can use the Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP) to not only check if the wording you want is available, but also how it would look on different types of license plates. Note that the wording being available does not mean that it will be approved by the DMV if it is found to be against the personalized plate guidelines.


My personalized plates were damaged or lost. Can I replace them?

Yes. You will need to complete Form TC-817, "Application for Personalized Plates", being sure to indicate that you are requesting replacement plates, and be prepared to pay the $13 personalized plate replacement fee.

You may then mail the application with a check for the replacement fee or take it in to your local DMV office.


How long will it take to receive my personalized plates?

You should expect to receive your personalized plates within four weeks of placing your order.




  • For more information about registrations, please click here.


I need to apply for a refund. How do I do that?

You will need to complete a Form TC-55A, "Claim for Refund of Fees or Sales Tax for Motor Vehicles". Please click here for more information about applying for a refund, including circumstances in which a refund may be granted.


I need extra time for my safety and emissions inspections. How do I get a temporary permit?

A 15-day temporary permit is available when your vehicle registration has or is about to expire and extra time is needed to pass the safety and/or emissions inspections. The fee for this permit is $6.00. All registration fees must be paid at the time the permit is issued.

For more information about temporary permits, please click here.


How do I replace a lost registration, license plate, or decal?

Registration certificates, license plates, and decals are all easily replaced by visiting your local DMV office. No special forms are needed, though a small fee may apply. Please click here for more information.


I just moved to Utah. How do I get a Utah registration and how long do I have?

New residents to Utah are allowed 60 days to transfer titles and registrations. To do this, you will need the existing title (unless held by a lien holder as collateral in a financing agreement) and the most recent registration. Click here to see if your vehicle needs a safety and/or emissions inspection.

All vehicles that are titled or registered in Utah for the first time are required to complete a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection. Form TC-661, "Certificate of Inspection" must be completed by a DMV employee, designated contractor, peace officer, licensed dealer, or a certified safety inspector. Note that this may be completed by a DMV employee at the time of registration.


I recently changed addresses. How do I update the address on my registrations?

The easiest way to update your address with the DMV is by using the Motor Vehicle Portal (MVP). In MVP, click "Manage My Vehicle" under "Vehicle Options." You can also call the DMV at 801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-3688 or visit your local DMV office.


My registration is about to expire. Why didn't I receive a renewal notice?

It is very common for renewal notices to not be received. Usually, this is caused by a vehicle owner changing address during the year and not updating the address on their vehicle's registration. You may still renew your registration without the renewal notice.

Note that it is your responsibility to renew your vehicle registration on time, even if you did not receive a renewal notice.


My registration is about to expire. Do I need a safety and/or emissions inspection this year?

A general rule of thumb is that vehicles with even model years are required to pass a safety and emissions inspection in even years, and vehicles with odd model years in odd years. For complete information, however, please click here.




  • For more information about titles, please click here.


I just bought a vehicle. What do I need to get a title and registration?

Though every title situation is different from the last, you should at least have the original title or a bill of sale from the previous owner. Either of these should be sufficient to at least get you started at the DMV, and should allow you to at least obtain a temporary permit while you round up additional documents such as safety and emissions inspections.

  • For more specific information about transfering a Utah title, click here.
  • For more specific information about transfering an out-of-state title, click here.
  • For more specific information about transfering ownership on a vehicle without a title, click here.


I just bought a vehicle, but the seller can't find the title. What do I do?

It is the seller's responsibility to find and transfer the title to you. It is very common that a "missing" title is simply being held by the seller's bank or credit union as collateral for a loan, in which case the seller should contact their bank or credit union. If the title is truly missing, however, the seller will need to apply for a duplicate title.

If the previous title was a Utah title, the seller may complete Form TC-123, "Application for Duplicate Utah Title" in place of the original title, which not only requests a duplicate title, but also allows the seller to transfer that duplicate title to you. You may then take the Application for Duplicate Utah Title to the DMV along with a bill of sale.

If the previous title was from out-of-state, however, the seller is responsible for obtaining a duplicate title from that state. In cases like these, you may take a bill of sale to the DMV, pay your title and registration fees, and obtain a temporary permit so that you may use the vehicle while you wait for the title.


I just bought a vehicle. How much sales tax will I need to pay?

Sales and Use Tax is based on the purchase price. The rate varies from city to city, so click here to find your local sales tax rate. Simply multiply the rate by your purchase price, and you'll have your sales tax amount.


I just bought a vehicle in another state. Why do I have to pay sales tax to Utah?

Sales tax, or more correctly Sales and Use Tax, applies to a new purchase regardless of where the purchase was made. Most states do not collect sales tax unless the vehicle is being titled or registered in that state. As a result, Sales and Use Tax is collected by the state in which the vehicle is being used (titled or registered). Unless sales tax was paid in the state in which you purchased the vehicle, you must pay the Sales and Use Tax here in Utah because you are using the vehicle in Utah.


I'm trying to sell a vehicle, but I can't find the title. How do I replace a lost title?

You may request a duplicate title by completing Form TC-123, "Application for Duplicate Utah Title". A $6.00 title fee will be assessed, and the duplicate title should be received in about a week after making the application.

If you are selling the vehicle to a Utah resident who will be titling and/or registering the vehicle in Utah, you may simply give the completed Form TC-123 Application for Duplicate Utah Title to the buyer in place of the Utah title. If you do, make sure that you have signed both Part 1 and Part 2 of the form. It is highly recommended that a bill of sale accompany the Application for Duplicate Utah Title.


What is the difference between "and" and "or" on a title?

"And" and "or" represent the relationship between owners on a title. "And" requires that both owners must sign to transfer or change a title, while "or" requires that only one owner sign to transfer or change a title.


I want to add, remove, or change a name on a title. How do I do that?

Title changes like these are easily made, but require that you surrender the existing title to the DMV. You will need to complete Form TC-656, "Application for Utah Title" with all the appropriate changes reflected. At least one owner whose name was already on the title before changes were made must sign this application. A $6.00 title fee and a $4.00 duplicate registration fee may apply.

Note that if your title is being held by a lien holder as collateral in a financing agreement, you may need to contact the lien holder to have the title sent to the DMV before changes can be made.

Scroll Up